Monday, May 9, 2011

letter eight

6.24.2010

Dear Bartender,

You let me ramble on. Laying phrases of stress upon your curious ears. All about the next day's blogger event at WBUR. I didn't know what to cook. I had a recipe to write. I had a fritatta to make for dinner. You had, as I'd requested, sauteed the ground meat with the special seasoning. You remained leaning against the stove-side wall. Quiet. Watching my moves through cabinets and drawers.

Need anything?

Yes, potatoes.

We have one.

That's perfect.

An onion.

Here's one in a bag. White. Oh, and there's half of a red onion in this container.

I'll use both. This fritatta is all about using up the fridge remains. Shredded cheese. Remains of blue cheese from boat trip.

Here. Anything else?

Eggs.

As I set out the cutting board, grab the pink knife my sister bought me for Christmas, and continue to ramble, your silence starts to seep in and pauses my activity.

I look at your face. Clearly you're holding something back. Your eyes say, ASK, ASK!

Wait? Did you hear back from her. Holy crap, how could I forget?

Yes, maybe I did. Your smirk turns to a full smile then you catch yourself and resume the serious face. As if in doing so you prolong the suspense.

Well, tell me! Did it pass? Are we approved.

Yes. You are unbelievably calm.

I put down the knife and walk over to you for a hug. How could you let me ramble on?

Then, we settle into the you talk/I cook routine. I ask whether you found out via e-mail or phone.

Phone.

What are her impressions?

She thinks the bank will approve also.

So, we're almost there, yes?

I think so. Her boss approved it. Now, it's up to the bank.


I'm kneeling down to reach the large skillet in the cabinet. I turn to you and simply say, holy fuck.

Well put.

We're just about there. I shuffle you out of the kitchen so you may rest before work and I may cook our dinner quickly without distraction.

Yet, my mind is full of thought now. So close. A fritatta is the perfect meal for us right now. It'll fill our bodies to match the weight of our minds.

What's next?

xo
your gurl

holy f*** fritatta

1 lb ground meat, seasoned
extra virgin olive oil
1 potato, chopped
1 small white onion, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
5 eggs plus 2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
any bits of leftover cheese
1/2 cup milk
pinch crushed red pepper flakes

set oven to 350 degrees.
saute vegetables.
saute meat.
whisk eggs.
layer potatoes/onions.
layer meat.
pour eggs over the lot.
cook until set, about 5 mins.
transfer to oven for 15 mins.
cool for a few mins transfer to plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment